How to Plan an Adult Birthday Party
Adult Birthday Party Overview
Celebrating one's birthday is a special event that's meant to be shared with loved ones. Adults enjoy parties as much as children and it's really nice when people honor your birthday by sharing the day with you. If you are celebrating an important milestone, such as turning 30, 40, 50, or even 60, then it should be celebrated with all the fanfare. A typical birthday party for an adult consists of family and friends, and usually involves a dinner, games, music and much more.
The Host's To-Do List
Pre-planning: A month before the party
Preparing for a party with extra time is the best way to guarantee that you'll have a relatively hassle-free birthday party after.
- Choose the date. The ideal day for a party is over the weekend. This ensures that your guests will be available. You can pick the weekend before or after your actual birthday.
- Pick the venue. If you want an intimate party with just friends and family, then host the party at your house. If you want something more formal, then go with a restaurant or hotel function room.
- Your guest list. Make a list of all the guests that you want invited to you party so you won't forget anyone.
- Send your birthday invitations. Once your venue and date are set, send out your birthday party invitations to your guest list.
- Budget. Avoid spending too much money by having a budget set before starting your birthday party planning.
Planning the Details: 3 weeks before the party
With just weeks to plan for everything, it's time to decide on the menu, decorations, and entertainment or games.
- Food – a buffet is the most popular and easiest method of serving food, especially if you're having the party in a restaurant or at home. It's relatively less expensive than having an ala carte menu. Serve snacks for guests to nibble on while waiting for dinner to be served.
- Decorations – it's easier to decorate if you have a theme. Many of our birthday party decorations can be matched to suit any theme.
- Entertainment and games – to make the event more fun, prepare some activities and games to keep the guests entertained. Keep activities related to the theme you chose. Play your favorite music to entertain the guests.
- Favors – your guests will greatly appreciate a keepsake from your birthday party. Be sure to give out birthday party favors that are tied to your theme. For instance, personalized playing cards make the perfect favors for a casino themed birthday party. For more ideas, check out our party favors for adults.
Adult Birthday Party Etiquette FAQs
Planning a birthday party can be a stressful event that is why you must never hesitate to ask for help whenever you can. Here are a few more helpful tips to keep you on track:
Should I serve alcoholic or non-alcoholic drinks at the party?
Serve a variety of drinks. Not every one wants to drink even it is a weekend. Serve both kinds of drinks and let your guests choose. They'll appreciate it even more that you've thought of them when you planned your menu.
Is it really ok to ask my invited guests to help out during the party?
Absolutely. You can ask a really close relative or friend to come in early to help you set-up the food, decorations, tables and chairs. The party will go on more smoothly if you delegate some of the work.
How do I become the perfect host?
Make sure you go around and talk to all your guests. They came to the party to share your special day with YOU. Don't stay with a group too long because the other guests may feel unattended.
How do I get to have fun at my party when I worry about how it's going?
That is the importance of delegating some of the task to other people. It will relieve you of some of the stress so you can have fun too. After all, it is your birthday bash, so celebrate!